Potatoes are scientifically referred to as Solanum tuberosum, it’s among the common food on earth because it contains a wealth of health benefits. The nutritional values of potato include vitamins, minerals, and the essential organic compounds. Eating potato with its skin is extremely beneficial because it contains potassium, calcium, and phosphorus.
Potatoes are known for the massive percentage of vitamin C in them (approximately 17%), they also contain vitamin and they are among the best source of starch.
Here are the Health Benefits of Potatoes.
- Lower Blood Pressure: Potatoes are used to relieve high blood pressure, tension, and also to treat indigestion.
- Prevents Heart Diseases: Potatoes contain substances called carotenoids ( lutein, Zeaxanthin) which is good for the guts health and functioning of the interior organs, but using it as a measure to prevent heart diseases isn’t recommended for the obese and diabetics.
- Aids the Cognitive process: It regulates the quantity of glucose, oxygen supply, Vitamin B-complex components, aminoalkanoic acid, and fatty acids are needed for the brain to function well and most of those nutrients are present in protein.
- Treat Scurvy: Potatoes are rich in vitamin C and Carotenoid. Vitamin C in potato helps to treat scurvy which is characterized by cracked lip corners, sponges and bleeding gums, frequent viral infections.
- Easy Digestion: As potato contains a high level of carbohydrate they’re easy to digest and helps digestive process which makes them a good diet for babies and for people who cannot digest hard food.
- Reduces Inflammation: Potatoes are useful in reducing both internal and external inflammation since they’re soft, rich in vitamins, and easy to digest. It relieves any inflammation within the intestines and gastrointestinal system and are a good diet for people with mouth ulcer.
- Aid weight Gain: When potatoes are mixed with cheese, butter, or cream, they become an ideal diet for lean and thin people that wants to add or gain weight, and therefore the presence of the vitamins helps in the proper absorption of carbohydrates.
- Protect and Moisturize the Skin: Vitamin C, vitamin B complex and minerals like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc functions as promoters for skin, the pulp gotten from crushed potato when mixed with honey helps to get rid of pimples and are utilized in facial treatment packs. The pulp when applied to a wound aids the healing of the wound.
- Treatment of Kidney Stones: Kidney stones are referred to as Renal calculi and they are mainly caused by the rise of uric acid within the blood, in such cases food high in protein should be avoided but potatoes contain magnesium which inhibits the buildup of calcium and inhibits calcification of calcium within the kidney and in other tissues, therefore it is useful for the medical management of renal calculi.
- Treatment Of Diarrhoea: Potatoes have high energy content and are used to treat diarrhea since they’re easy to digest and contains mild roughages, but eating it in an excessive amount can cause diarrhea due to the ingestion of an excessive amount of starch.
Thanks for stopping by!!!
Hey there! I’m Oluborode Ayokanmi, the blogger behind this site. I’m a student. I write about recipes from around the world. I love trying out new recipes. I learnt most of these recipes from my mum. She is my source of inspiration.